Anonymous

Thursday, July 19, 2018


In the latest EU General Data Protection Regulation changes, the "Right to be Forgotten" is included - which means that any user possesses the right to erase their data completely and future data usage for any kind of purpose. Being anonymous again - which is relevant for today's life - I think is harder than before.

In the past, when I was working as a social media analyst, I learned that I needed to make an anon email account to try any new social media, platform, or analytics. This - is what I still think is necessary today. I have a lot of emails to protect my data and identity. I do really understand how the aggregation of my data online is really dangerous when someone is seriously taking his/her time to dig in. I started to delete my LinkedIn, Soundcloud, and many other platform accounts - including a lot of my Facebook history.

Then I found out that not every platform make it easy for users to delete their account.
Please check here if you want to see and be helped to delete your account.

Recently I have preferred Twitter - where I can go semi-anonymous because it only captures my name and feed, not even a gender.

What's so dangerous? I'll give you a case.
Social media is a tool for terrorists to spread their message to designated targets (for reference: click the news here). Your cookies data, history, and profile - are all stored and could be used for audience targeting in the ads. You don't need to be a high profile one to be afraid of your data breaching nowadays. When someone gets all your data, s/he will be able to "predict" what is your ideology, needs, or wants, and drive you to be agreed with them on a particular issue, suggest you buy new furniture (or drugs), or find your cycling path - and kill you.

Anonymity is the brand new prosperity - just like knowledge and culture.

But aside from the safety issue, I have a sentimental reason.
I once was a social media darling. All of my friends knew when I moved to a new place or got a new job, won a grant, or when was invited me as a lecturer or to a conference. It was sick. Why should people know anything about me? Who am I, really? That flood of information only makes them don't get the need to contact me to ask what's up with my life. No wonder we are lonely. We are flooding people with our updates on Facebook or Instagram stories.


Why don't we keep the stories for ourselves and our significant ones?
Keeping the conversation hangin' in the air and listening to each other.
I like to keep conversation warm, and with people not knowing my background or my life updates, the cold is stuck outside.

In the past recent weeks, I went to several places with random friends.
One time I was with a friend at a Korean art performance. At the end of the performance, the performers invited us to the stage and danced together. I was so happy. It has been 2 years since I performed on the stage. I miss that adrenaline and excitement feeling.



Then I was with guy friends on a beach; it was breezy and cold, and we talked about life. Asking why people perceive marriage and having kids as the ultimate goal of life.  I went random hiking and was on the top of the mountain with a guy friend, waiting for the sunrise in the middle of the hazy sky, watching people wait for the same lights. And I found myself alone, watching classical Palegongan dance in the middle of the crowd. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoy myself being with my boyfriend or friends. I don't feel the urge to be seen as happy or good by my followers or the need to be accepted because I am a majority member in this country.

This anonymity is a luxury of mine.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Let's give me a feedback!